There is no contraflow or one-way operation in use on Florida state roadways
Tallahassee - The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), working with the Florida Highway Patrol (FHP), has implemented a limited Emergency Shoulder Use (ESU) plan for Hurricane Irma evacuations on I-75 at Wildwood to the Georgia state line. Motorists should only use the left shoulder when directed by law enforcement and highway signs.
- There is no contraflow or one-way operation in use on Florida state roadways
- No other state roadways are currently approved for shoulder use
- Although there are heavy pockets of evacuation traffic in some areas; traffic is flowing on this section of roadway
- Law enforcement urges motorists to use caution when driving on the shoulder – right shoulder use is prohibited
- FDOT has 13 Traffic Management Centers where hundreds of DOT workers are monitoring traffic cameras 24/7 to ensure traffic flows continue and evacuations proceed without interruption.