Here's a "Motivational Monday" Thanksgiving Recipe distributed this morning via email from the Florida Department of Health in Franklin County through their Healthiest Weight Initiative.
"Good morning... we hope these emails will begin to inspire, motivate and point you to adopt a culture of health in the workplace and at home... best of health", Talitha L. Robinson, Health Educator Consultant closing the Gap Program with the Florida Department of Health in Franklin/Gulf County.
The Department of Health mission is to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts and their vision is to be the Healthiest State in the Nation.
For more information about the Initiative or to sign up to receive a weekly healthy message via email, please contact Ms. Robinson at (850) 653-2111 ext. 102 or send email to Talitha.Robinson@FLHealth.gov or direct your inquiry to Ms. Gina Moore at (850) 653-2111 ext. 123 or send email to Gina.Moore@FLHealth.gov.
Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Shallots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 med. Shallots, sliced into rings (1 cup)
- 1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups low-fat (1%) milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 lb fresh thin string beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven 375 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over med-high heat until very hot. Add 1/4 c. shallots & cook, stirring until golden brown and crisp, for 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towel & drain. Repeat with remaining shallots, cooking 1/4 c. at a time. Reserve the oil in the skillet.
- Place the green beans in a steam basket fitted over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until bright green & still crisp, 3 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved shallot oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushroom liquid is evaporated and they begin to brown, about 12 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme & cook, stirring, 1 minute. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a bowl.
- Whisk together the milk & flour until the flour is dissolved. Add the mixture to the skillet and, whisking constantly, bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the green beans, mushroom mixture, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, the parsley, nutmeg, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon the green bean mixture into the prepared dish and sprinkle the top with the crispy shallots and the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake until golden on top and bubbling, about 20 minutes.
Nutritional Facts: Per serving: Calories - 186, Total Fat - 9 g, Cholesterol - 8mg , Protein - 9g, Carbs - 19g, Sugar - 9g, Fiber - 3g, Saturated Fat - 2g