Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mayor puts newly created DIB on hold

City administrator Betty Taylor-Webb is in the process of sending notices to members of the recently created Downtown Improvement Board (DIB) notifying them that they can’t meet, organize, or act until further review.

The city commission appointed the sixteen-member board at their July 14, special meeting at the behest of the downtown merchants to promote economic development and historic preservation in the downtown commercial district.

However, the next day Webb discovered and immediately notified commissioners that the appointments were made contrary to established city procedures.

In an email alerting the Mayor to the discrepancy, Webb wrote:

“Whenever possible and as time permits, I study and focus on all items placed on Commission agendas prior to the meeting in an attempt to gather information and research past board actions that may be related to the topic to assist you and the Commissioners in making the most informed and best decision possible for our City. I have in the past brought information to the Board’s attention that I believe has resulted in a more thorough and unbiased decision-making process.

Time did not allow me to follow my procedure for the items listed on the agenda prior to last night’s Special Meeting. After a follow-up review this morning, I feel I must bring it to your attention that, in my opinion, the Downtown Improvement Board issue should be readdressed by way of the Ordinance adoption process. The City, in the past, had an appointed Downtown Development Association (aka: DIB) that was “De-Authorized” by the Commission in an effort to establish a Community Redevelopment Agency, this action was taken pursuant to Ordinance Number 88-11, dated January 3rd, 1989. Therefore, I believe legally to re-instate such an agency it must follow suit to be designated and its members appointed by means of an Ordinance adoption.

I may indeed be incorrect so I will have the City attorney review it as well, but in the meantime I strongly urge you and the Commissioners to take this information I have brought forth under advisement.”

Accordingly, Webb was instructed to put on hold all activities of the newly appointed board until city attorney J. Patrick Floyd could review the procedure and advise the commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment