Friday, September 4, 2009

Happy Labor Day Weekend

I remember as a young lad growing up in historic Apalachicola when my uncle and aunt on my mother’s side used to visit the family from Cairo, Georgia every Labor Day weekend to go fishing.

I can remember my father using a tight line with only a sinker to fish with, as he was legally blind from injuries sustained while serving his country in its fight for freedom during WWII and couldn’t see the cork when a fish took it under.

However, he could feel the fish when it took the bait and using this method, he landed more fish then my uncle, causing my uncle to doubt that my father was even blind.

It was an annual ritual for my visiting relatives where they enjoyed making the all-day trip from Georgia for fishing, fun and down home country style cooking and leaving beautiful Apalachicola right before sunset for their return trip home.

Those days after a long hot summer, the coolness of fall marked the beginning of school right after but not before Labor Day. I remember suiting up for fall football practice and the pursuing jamboree followed by winter.

To me those days growing up in small town Apalachicola surrounded by family and friends are worth reminiscing about.

In remembrance of when things were a lot less complicated and the world was a much friendlier place, and to my parents, uncle, and aunt who are no longer with us.

I wish each of you, your families, and the entire Apalachicola community a happy and safe Labor Day weekend.

In addition, all city offices will be closed on Monday, Sept 7 in observance of this national holiday and reopen on Sept 8, the day after.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful remembrance, Mayor Van, that I'm sure will bring back memories in all of us. Thank you for sharing. I am happy to report that the tradition still lives on, at least at Lafayette Park Pier. I was out there the last two evenings over this Labor Day Holiday, and saw a full complement of families getting outdoors and enjoying our fabulous pier!

    ReplyDelete