Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Steady progress while building a greater sense of community


I’m Van W. Johnson, Sr., age 55 and the current Mayor of Apalachicola and I’m running for re-election. I’m married to my wife of 34-years, Gail and together have raised five wonderful children.  As a lifelong resident of Apalachicola, like most of you I attended high school here, made my home here, raised my family here and stayed here to work toward making Apalachicola a better place for all.

Over the last eight years the city has earned the distinction of being a Tree City Community, a Florida Main Street Community, a Riverway South Community, and a Distinctive Destination Community for preserving and protecting its trees, historic integrity and working waterfront. All of which is why so many have found Apalachicola to be such a great place to live, work and play.


As your mayor, I have listened and wholeheartedly supported grassroots efforts such as City Square Community Garden, the Apalachicola Dog Park and the Farmers Market for their propensity to promote and bring Apalachicola together as one community, regardless of race, gender, social class, where you live or how long you have lived here.

I want to continue to build upon that unity and steady progress that Apalachicola has come to enjoy over the last eight years. Progress such as the new fire/police station, public restrooms in the downtown area, a renovated Holy Family Senior Center, a state recognized afterschool and summer enrichment program and a renovated youth center.


Most of you know me and you know that there’s nothing in my background, neither in my 30-year employment history with Franklin County, nor during my 10-year prior service as an Apalachicola City Commissioner or the countless years I spent coaching local youth league sports to even remotely suggest that I don’t have the best interest of my hometown, Apalachicola at heart. Sure, we don’t always agree on everything and most people don’t, but I’ve always listened and welcomed different ideas and opinions and will continue to do so.

I have both the moral compass and compassion to continue to lead and serve all as mayor of our great city.

In May 2012, after I retired from county government, the Franklin County Board of County Commissioners moved to declare May 31, 2012, "Van Johnson, Sr., Day" throughout the Franklin County community, for my exemplary service to the residents of Franklin County from the City of Apalachicola to the unincorporated area of Alligator Point.


In August 2014, along with others from around the world, I received the “Golden Rule International Award” for my work as Mayor of Apalachicola.  The award is affiliated with the United Nations, established in 120 nations of the world and presented to those that live the Golden Rule in their everyday life. I also received the “iChange Nations Global Leadership Award”, which recognizes individuals throughout the world that have exemplified extraordinary humanitarian efforts to effectively change nations.

All of which is only stated to demonstrate my level of commitment towards the wellbeing of Apalachicola, as I humbly ask each of you for your vote and support on September 8, 2015, to continue our work together to make Apalachicola the greatest city in the world in which to live, a city that preserves its heritage while providing opportunities for all.

To Re-Elect Van W. Johnson, Sr., Mayor
September 8, 2015

Please help support the campaign to re-elect Van W. Johnson, Sr., Mayor of Apalachicola. Donate today, $25, $50, $75, $100 (not to exceed $500 per entity) to help keep Apalachicola working for "ALL".


Approved by Van W. Johnson, Sr., for Mayor of Apalachicola

No comments:

Post a Comment