Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Golden Years In Florida Politics: by former Florida State Senator Bob McKnight


The Golden Years... is a book written about the Florida Legislature during the 1970's and 1980's by Author and former Florida State Senator Robert "Bob" McKnight.

The book reflects upon certain campaigns with McKnight mentioning the campaign of our very own Curt Blair, Administrator for the Franklin County Tourist Development Council. In the book, McKnight tells the story about how Blair narrowly won election by a paper thin margin in the late 70's to unseat a well-financed incumbent county commissioner on the Monroe County Board of County Commissioners.  McKnight writes, "I tried not to get directly involved in the race because I had friends and supporters on both sides of the campaign. Still, I could not help but be impressed with how Blair shaped the race into a David and Goliath fight, with himself in the role of David."

The book is the first by McKnight.  He was elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 1974, was re-elected to the House in 1976, and defeated two state senators to win a four-year term in the Florida Senate in 1978. He chaired the House Subcommittees on Corrections; Health and Mental Health; the Senate Committee on Health and Rehabilitative Services; and the Appropriations Subcommittee Funding Social and Criminal Justice/Judicial Systems.

In the book McKnight also writes about his appointment with former Florida Governor Reubin Askew in the Old Capitol. McKnight writes, "His office was dark and decorated quite differently from that of his predecessor, Governor Kirk. After about a 15-minute wait, his assistant said that the governor was ready to meet with me. After we shook hands, I started to sit down and then heard a thunderous bang—the governor had slammed his fist on his desk. He then shouted at me, "You should be ashamed of yourself getting tricked into voting that bill out of committee today!!!" I was more than stunned and stammered saying, "Why, Governor?" He proceeded to tell me all the things wrong with the bill and closed by pointing out that I had fallen into an old trap, as had many freshmen before me, by voting to appease a colleague, rather than voting my conscience. He told me how his (and, I hoped, still my) good friend, former representative Marshall Harris (D., Miami) had spoken so highly of me, and how the governor was hoping I could carry some of his important legislation that year. It was very unusual for a freshman to be given that privilege by a governor. I thought to myself, "I have blown this golden opportunity, and this was just my first committee meeting." When I left Askew’s office, my clothes were dripping wet from nervous perspiration.

During his tenure in the Florida Legislature McKnight received the Allen Morris Award, runner-up for the Most Effective First Term Member of both the Florida House of Representatives and the Senate. He was named by the Florida Jaycees as one of the Five Outstanding Young Men in Florida in 1980.

The Golden Years... can be purchased online just in time for Christmas at Amazon.com in hardcover or in digital format for your Kindle or iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment