A freeze watch means temperatures may drop into the mid-20s or lower for two or more hours… with a prolonged period of subfreezing temperatures. These conditions can kill crops and can also be harmful to persons not properly dressed for the cold as well as sensitive to outdoor pets. A hard freeze can cause unprotected pipes to burst. Unprotected pipes are usually confined to trailers and houses on stilts along the coast.
- Please check on your elderly neighbors to make sure that will be safe and warm.
- Pets should be brought indoors early.
- Precautions should be taken to protect cold sensitive plants and vegetation.
- Make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order.
- Never leave a portable heating source unattended.
- Keep all flammable materials a safe distance from heaters.
- Never ever overload a circuit with too many appliances.
This has been a Public Service Announcement brought to you by Franklin County Emergency Management and the United Firefighters of Franklin County.