Monday, October 6, 2008

Apalachicola Mayor Endorses Barack Obama

On Saturday, Oct. 4, I received a telephone call from Jon Wright, Deputy Political Director for the Obama North Florida Campaign for Change. The purpose of Wright’s call was to solicit my support as Mayor for the Obama/Biden ticket and to ask would I lead a parade here in Apalachicola.

During our brief conversation, Mr. Wright had stated that the Obama campaign would be making a big push for the early vote in Franklin County, which will conclude with a parade on Oct. 27.

I initially agreed to both requests.

However, after thinking about it further, I decided to visit Obama’s campaign website
(www.barackobama.com) to find out where Obama stood on the issues. Something that I suggest that each of you find time do before the election.

After browsing the website, I learned that part of Obama’s plan for education calls for making the teaching of Math and Science a National Priority, and providing funding for the “No Child Left Behind” law. I also read where he has pledged to provide help for working families by raising the Federal minimum wage to $9.50 per hour by 2011, and that he is committed to encouraging job creation by providing tax relief for small businesses. The website also stated that Obama and Biden would protect homeownership by cracking down on fraudulent brokers and lenders.

Although, I didn’t look at where Obama stood on every single issue, I am definitely in support of what I did read and I’m glad that I took the time to find out. I now have a clearer understanding of the issues that’s important to me.

Moreover, I personally feel that an Obama presidency will bring a fresh outlook and determination to the challenges facing our country and I truly believe that Obama has the ability to bring the nation together after the election is over.

In the past, neither political party would have bothered soliciting support in the small coastal community of Apalachicola , we only have a little over 1,600 votes to offer. However, the telephone call made me realize that small town America is important to Obama’s bid to become president and he is right not to overlook our value.

This is just another reason why I am endorsing Obama’s candidacy for President.

For more information on what you can do to help or participate in the parade contact Jon Wright, Deputy Political Director for North Florida Campaign for Change: Tel: (850) 855-9416 or Email:
jwright@floridaforchange.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment