Thursday, May 23, 2019

Sen. Rick Scott: Huge Wins for Florida in Disaster Funding Bill


WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Senator Rick Scott released the following statement after the Senate passed the $19.1 billion disaster relief package. The final package includes funding for the Florida Panhandle following the devastation from Hurricane Michael, over $1.2 billion to rebuild Tyndall Air Force Base, and the $600 million in disaster recovery funding for Puerto Rico that Senator Scott proposed in January.

Senator Rick Scott said, “I’ve been fighting since Hurricane Michael hit to get the funding Florida families and businesses need to recover and rebuild. I visited Tyndall Air Force Base multiple times since the storm and took the President to visit Tyndall so he could see the devastation firsthand. I’m glad we finally secured the billions of dollars in funding the Panhandle needs to continue recovering. And back in January, I introduced an amendment to ensure Puerto Rico has the resources they need to recover following Hurricane Maria. My first speech on the Senate floor was about my commitment to fighting for Puerto Rico. I’m glad this funding is also included.

“It took way too long, but we finally got this bill across the finish line. I’m thankful for my colleagues that worked with me to move this process forward. It’s a great day for Florida and the communities in the Panhandle that were devastated by Hurricane Michael.”

The $19.1 billion disaster relief package includes:
  • Over $1.2 billion to rebuild Tyndall Air Force Base.
  • $600 million to supplement disaster nutrition assistance for Puerto Rico, which Senator Scott proposed in January.
  • $3 billion for the USDA Office of the Secretary to cover producers’ net exposure to losses stemming from 2018 and 2019 natural disasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment