9/10/2017 2:30 update
Hurricane Irma Update
Franklin County Emergency Management is activated to a Level 1 Activation Hurricane Weather Update:
- Irma’s center wobbling significantly off southwest Florida
- A Hurricane Warning has been issued for the Big Bend Area.
- Due to proximity to the coast, landfall is possible anywhere from Naples to Big Bend. No matter where landfall occurs, significant impacts should still be expected locally.
- Main threat continues to be wind damage and widespread power outages across inland areas, these outages could take up to a week or more to restore.
- Gusty winds of as high as 40 mph could occur due to the cold front that Irma is being affected by.
- There is an 8 in 10 chance for hurricane conditions across parts of the southeast Big Bend.
- The central Big Bend and south central Georgia have a 5 in 10 chance of hurricane conditions.
- According to the current track, Tropical Storm Force winds can be expected to begin Sunday evening and taper off from south to north beginning Monday afternoon and ending everywhere by midnight. Secure all outdoor items such as chairs, grills, garbage cans and umbrellas that can move in the event of high winds.
- Rain Amounts of 4-6 inches across Southwest GA, Southwest AL, and western FL panhandle. Amounts of 2-4 inches include south-central GA and the eastern FL Big Bend
- Surge amount of 4-6 feet is expected to affect Dog Island, Alligator Point and Ball Point.
- A Storm Surge watch is in effect for the rest of Franklin County.
All Franklin County Schools are Closed Friday 9/8/2017 and Monday 9/11/2017 and Tuesday, 9/12/17 due to the evacuations out of Franklin County.
City of Apalachicola Office, Franklin County Offices, and the City of Carrabelle will be CLOSED on Monday 9/11/2017.
Franklin County Emergency Management has issued a mandatory evacuation all of Franklin County.
A Mandatory Evacuation has been issued for St George Island, the bridge for the island closed to oncoming traffic as of Sunday, September 10, 2017, at 2:00. No one will be allowed to access the island from the mainland after 2:00 PM. There will be an officer staged at the East Point side of the island bridge.